At the time of the creation of these United States, the area now known as Bowling Green, Kentucky was wilderness that was home to mostly animals and a few scattered Indian tribes that moved through the area from time to time, usually for hunting. Some Virginians also came to hunt here and then would return home with their bounty of Bison, Rabbits and other wildlife. After the Revolutionary War was over, some of the soldiers from Virginia were paid with land grants in the territory of Kentucky and began moving here to settle down and work the land.
Warren County was created in 1796, when the area had enough residents to qualify as a county. The size of most counties at that time was to be such that a settler could ride a horse to the county seat and back home in one day, thus, many county seats were established close to the geographic center of the county. The county seat of Warren County, Kentucky was first recorded shortly after the creation of the county as BOLIN GREEN. The spelling difference might have simply been due to the recorder not knowing how to spell Bowling Green – it is thought that the name was taken from the area of what is today lower Manhattan, which was known as Bowling Green. Today, there is still a subway stop near Wall St. and Battery Park called Bowling Green.
Some of the first families to settle in Bowling Green included The Andrew McFaddin family and Robert and Elizabeth Moore, who built a house for their daughter, Mariah. We know that house as the longtime site of Mariah’s Restaurant, and which is now undergoing a transformation into a new restaurant that will open this year.
By the time of the Civil War, the population of Warren County had grown to some 12,000 people, with approximately 2,000 of those living in the city we know as Bowling Green.